He is also the author of various publications as well as a workshop series in DRUMS & PERCUSSION magazine. He’s also the creator of the LATIN-PERCUSSION PLUGIN for FINALE Notation Software and the author of Add-ons for FINALE SCOREGROOVE VOL 1 and 2, as well as SCORES2EDIT GROOVES EDITION. He is the Artistic Director of the WORLD PERCUSSION ACADEMY and the CAJON ACADEMY.
Besides performing on his own and realizing his own projects, José J. Cortijo has cooperated with many well-known artists on their tours throughout Germany and abroad – with a range of music styles from Latin, Funk, Pop, Rock to Big band and Musical. He can also be heard on numerous productions for radio and t.v.
- Private lessons with the Cuban percussionist Pedrito Diaz in Spain
- until 1982 performances, studio an TV-recordings with different groups in Spain.
- 1983 Freelancer percussionist at the Rias Berlin and Studio Choir Berlin
- 1987-1990 Member of the latin band „Conexión Latina“
- 1989-1991 Freelancer percussionist at the Stadttheater Regensburg.
- 1991 First approved music teacher for afro-cuban percussion in Germany
- 1994-2003 Lecturer for Latin Percussion at the University of Music and Performing Arts Mannheim.
- Freelancer Percussionist for the Norddeutscher Rundfunk
- Since 1998 Lecturer at the Bundesakademie für Musikalische Jugendbildung e.V. in Trossingen.
- Percussion teacher for the Deutscher Musikrat and the Bundesjazzorchester (BuJazzO).
- 1999-2001 Lecturer for Latin Percussion at the University of Musik Nürnberg/Augsburg.
- Freelancer percussionist for the Hessischer Rundfunk.
- 2000-2002 Teacher at the Music College Regensburg.
- Gastdozent an diversen Musikhochschulen.
- Lecturer at the Landesmusikakademie NRW.
- Since 2003 At the University of Music and Performing Arts first Professor for Latin-Percussion in Germany.
- Lecturer for the Musik Landesverband NRW.
- Developper several percussion instruments
- Lecturer for drums & percussion notation on FINALE.
- Author of several publications and App’s.
Triangle becomes a drum set
Photo: Kalle Linkert
Chris Thompson, Al Jarreau, Jon Lord, Peter Kraus, The Surpremes, MayBebop, Thomas Anders, Abdullah Ibrahim, Duo Fragile, Mark Gillespie, Stefan Wiesbrock, Michael Gibbs, Alice Day, More Morena, Siggi Schwarz, Uwe Ochsenknecht, Farfarello, Chris Beier, Pete York, Gary Burton, Ack van Rooyen, Hans Hartmanns „Stickstoff“, Michael Arlt US Organ Trio
Nina Corti, Terminal A, Conexión Latina, Joe Gallardo, Indiginy, Caché, Luis „Perico“ Ortiz, Frank Nimsgern Band, Hot Cargo, Christoph Spendel Electric-Band, Evert Frateman, Frank Haunschild
Cortijo & Küsters #percussionways, José J. Cortijo & Michael Küttner - Percussion Discussion, Busch-Werk & Nippy Noya, Drumpact
NDR-Big Band, SWR Big Band, HR-Big Band, Thilo Wolf Big Band
Carmen Cubana, Evita, Das Dschungelbuch, Linie 1, Das Phantom der Oper, Cinderella, Dreigroschenoper, Schule mit Clowns